Is your Internet Explorer ‘Back' Button Not Working?
What causes the Back button in Internet Explorer to go missing or stop working? How can you fix this issue?
Internet Explorer is a web browser from the house of Microsoft. Available in several versions, the current one available is Internet Explorer version 10. This browser is installed by default in Windows operating systems and you can easily check the version you have by accessing the ‘About Internet Explorer’ option in the Help tab. To facilitate navigating across the websites, the browser is set with a Back and a Forward button, located on the Toolbar. These buttons help you to move back and forth (web pages) while you are browsing. Some facilities that you can enjoy with these buttons are:
1. Navigate back to a previous web page without typing its address again
2. Navigate to a previous page by loading the page almost instantly
3. Return to a page after viewing a previous page
4. Load pages faster from the web browser’s cache or history
However, many users have complained that they are unable to find these buttons in their browser or even if they can find them, they may not be working. This makes navigation difficult and is certainly annoying for the user. Some common reasons that can be stated responsible for the missing/ malfunctioning buttons are:
- Presence of malware
- Presence of bugs
- Errors in the software
- Latest updates not installed
- Presence of conflicting add-ons
- Why does the back button stop working?
- How to fix the problem?
- Click ‘History’ on the toolbar
- Click the site that you want to visit out of the ones displayed in the History bar
- Click the ‘History’ button to open the history facility
- In the History Explorer bar, click “By Order Visited Today” on the “View menu”
- Click ‘Start’ then ‘All Programs’ and then ‘Accessories’.
- Go to ‘System Tools’, and then click on ‘Internet Explorer’ (No Add ons).
- Click on ‘Tools’ and then on ‘Internet Options’.
- Click the ‘Programs’ tab and then on ‘Manage add-ons’.
- Restart Internet Explorer to check if the problem is resolved.
- Alternative solutions
- Re-install Internet Explorer
- Install the latest updates by visiting the official website of Microsoft
- Reset the Internet Explorer settings back to factory default
- Run ‘msconfig’ from the ‘Start’ menu
- Install the latest security program and scan your PC for malware and virus
Call toll free 1 877 720 7606